Location: New York, NY
Axsome Therapeutics is currently searching for a Senior Accountant to help assist the team in transitioning to a commercial stage pharmaceutical company.
Axsome Therapeutics, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company developing novel therapies for the management of central nervous system (CNS) disorders. The Axsome team is comprised of a lean, dynamic group of individuals committed to addressing unmet needs for patients with CNS disorders.
Axsome is based in New York City, New York.
The Senior Accountant will be involved in all aspects of general corporate accounting including maintaining the integrity of the general ledger and preparing monthly and quarterly financial statements in accordance with GAAP’s established policies and procedures. As part of ensuring our financial statements are complete and accurate, the role will interact with different functions (clinical operations, regulatory, manufacturing, commercial, etc.) across the organization.
- Assist with the monthly close procedures i.e. prepare journal entries and perform general ledger account reconciliations
- Assist with 10-Q and 10-K preparation and SEC filings
- Participate in the development of control evidence expectations, detailed SOX testing plans and reviewing test guidance/scripts for completeness, accuracy and readability
- Plan, facilitate, and provide guidance with management’s execution and verification that the SOX assessment of internal controls over financial reporting is performed in accordance with the Company’s control assessment approach
- Assist in annual budget and quarterly forecast preparation
- Assist with the quarterly review and annual audits by independent auditors, as directed
- Responsible for assisting in development and implementation of new procedures, including implementation of a new ERP and T&E system to improve performance and controls
- Support accounts payable and expense report reimbursement
- Maintain the integrity of general ledger
- Identify and implement process for efficiencies and performance improvements
- Create and execute ad hoc reporting and analysis, as needed
- Special projects as assigned by supervisor
- REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 2+ years of accounting experience (industry knowledge not required, but preferred)
- Sarbanes Oxley experience a plus
- Certified Public Accountant a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to listen actively and respond to others and drive cross-functional resolutions
- Able to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment having the willingness to “roll-up their sleeves” and take initiative, follow-up and complete tasks in timely manner
- High attention to detail and accuracy along with ability to multitask and prioritize
- Team player with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships